Tripod-mounted Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the 1.4X III teleconverter and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6.
Pro Focusing/Composition Trick
This bird was swimming very slowly. I made a few images with the central sensor (the only one active and available at f/8) on the leading edge of the bird’s breast just above the water line. The bird was too centered in the frame. I decided to try for an image with a more pleasing composition, one with the bird a bit farther back in the frame. Using rear button to focus as above, I released the rear focus button and panned smoothly a bit faster than the bird was swimming in hopes that at f/11 the bird would be rendered in sharp focus. All three of the frames were sharp with this one the sharpest. This image is pretty much full frame.
You can learn to set up for rear button focus in our camera User’s Guides for the Mark III, the Mark IV, and the 7D.
I Heard He’s a Real A–hole
The image above was created at a marsh not too far from the LaQuinta Inn in Fort Myers. Geri George and Denise and I had spread out as the birds were on the skittish side. The habitat was gorgeous as was the still blue water. I ran into another photographer as I made my way along the side of the impoundment in search of subjects. We chatted for a bit. Later on as we were headed back to the car our paths crossed again.
He had mentioned that he was looking for spoonbills so I suggested that he get out with James Shadle out to Alafia Banks aboard the Hooptie Deux. When he asked how to contact Jim I told him to to visit BIRDS AS ART and check out the Posse/Small Group Instruction link. He had a puzzled look on his face and said, “Isn’t that the Arthur Morris guy?” “Yes,” I said, I heard he’s a real a–hole.” “Yup,” said Denise. He said, “That’s what I’ve heard.”
I stuck my hand out, shook his hand, and said, “Arthur Morris. Glad to meet you.” He had the same reaction as the last guy: “No way!” “Way,” I said, and we all had a good laugh. The guy’s name was Scott Smith, from Maryland I think. He said, “You are a really nice guy.” I responded, “Don’t always believe everything that you hear or that you read on the internet.”
I have come to realize that about 80% of the folks out there love me and the other 20% hate me. But I do not take it personally especially when you consider that of the 20% who think less than kindly of me, not one of them has ever met me or been on an IPT. And 100% of that 20% are bitter, unhappy, jealous folks.
As I’ve been saying recently, I am happy with my life, happy with what I am doing, proud of the body of work and the legacy that I will be leaving, and happy with myself. All in all I am loving it.
Below is a list of the gear that I used to create the image above. Thanks a stack to all who have used the Shopper’s Guide links to purchase their gear as a thank you for all the free information that we bring you on the Blog and in the Bulletins.
Canon 800mm f/5.L IS lens Right now this is my all time favorite super-telephoto lens.
Canon 1.4X II teleconverter This is my most used accessory; I would be lost without it.
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV professional digital camera bod.y And this is the very best professional digital camera body that I have even used..
And from the BAA On-line Store:
Gitzo 3530 LS Tripod This one will last you a lifetime.
Mongoose M3.6 Tripod Head Right now this is the best tripod head around for use with lenses that weigh less than 9 pounds. For heavier lenses, check out the Wimberley V2 head.
Double Bubble Level You will find one in my camera’s hot shoe whenever I am not using flash.
Delkin 32gb e-Film Pro Compact Flash Card Fast and dependable.
19 comments to Pro Focusing/Composition Trick & I Heard He’s a Real A–hole
4041 Granada Drive, P.O. BOX 7245, Indian Lake Estates, FL 33855